Original Art by Amanda Taylor Spiers

I am an artist and stay-at-home mom living in Virginia Beach. I love color, and I love PAINT! I am inspired by places that are full of energy and color. Just some of the things I enjoy painting include the Virginia Beach boardwalk, architecture, nature and my cats. I also love, love, love painting things for children. I am only an artist because my Creator ordained it so, and I owe all of my talent and all of my successes to Him. I consider myself very fortunate to have unique ideas and the ability to do something with them.

The purpose of this blog is give updates on my latest projects! All work shown here is more recent.


If you want to see more of my art go to: www.catinthelapstudio.com

Monday, August 2, 2010

The Local Scene

I have some new paintings of Virginia Beach.  The first four are on display at the Artists Gallery as part of the Annual Summerscapes Exhibition.  They are done in acrylic on thick paper and include just a hint of collage papers in the actual work.  I tried something different with my matting.  Each of these four is then attached to a collaged background and then matted and framed.  I don't have images of the final framed versions yet.  The last scene (watercolor and pastel) was a commissioned piece from a very sweet girl named Jules who was lucky enough to be stationed here for six months AND get to live in the Hilton for that whole time.  She wanted me to paint what she got to see everyday from her hotel balcony.  Thank you Jules for the commission (in case you ever stumble across this site) and I hope all is well in Afghanistan.  One sad note is that the Cuddly Hippo has closed its doors.  So, I now have a load of childrens's art to find a place for and I am not sure what my next step will be.  I am probably going to start posting things for sale on Etsy, so stay tuned for that site and info.

 Catch 31, Acrylic, Oil Pastel and Collage.  16x20 (total size framed).  $120
I painted a similar work two years ago for my first time entering a show at the gallery.  It won second place in the Summerscapes exhibit that year and resulted in an invitation to be a permanent part of the gallery - something I have thoroughly enjoyed.  I decided to paint the scene from a slightly different perspective and this time without people.

King Neptune, Acrylic, Oil Pastel and Collage.  16x20 (total size framed).  $120
 Rocking Out Under the Palms, Acrylic, Oil Pastel and Collage.  16x20 (total size framed).  $120
I have sold all my paintings of the rocking chairs at Catch 31 on the boardwalk so I decided to paint a few more scenes of them.  It is such a peaceful yet vibrant place to enjoy the view. 
 Two Rockers, Acrylic, Oil Pastel and Collage.  16x20 (total size framed).  $120
King Neptune and the Rockers, Watercolor, Pastel and Pen.  12x24. Commission - SOLD.


All five works will soon be available in prints and maybe even magnets.  Check the Artists Gallery for details or email me for info - manda@catinthelapstudio.com

No comments: